Netcare Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital
We’re here for you when you need it most
When you or a loved one have suffered a serious medical emergency or injury as a result of an accident or traumatic incident, prompt intervention by trained medical professionals could mean the difference between life and death.
Netcare not only provides first response emergency medical services through Netcare 911’s road and air operations; there are also 4 emergency departments at Netcare hospitals in the Western Cape operating around the clock, every day of the year.
Clinical care at the emergency departments is provided by independent doctor practices or by doctors with whom Netcare has contracted to provide this service, while specialists are on call should more specialised treatment be required.
We care about the dignity of our patients and all members of the Netcare family.
We care about the participation of our people and our partners in everything we do.
We care about truth in all our actions. We are passionate about quality care and professional excellence.
We strive to offer the best response times and paramedical expertise in the EMS industry.
Summer Holiday Sun Safety
- Summer Holidays are here and we are excited to grab our towels and bathing suits and head for the beach or the swimming pool.
- The sun is our friend and we are all ready to tap into its energy to recharge our body, mind and spirit.
- The skin is the biggest organ and our armour keeping our bodies safe from the outside elements.
- Healthy skin ensures a healthy body. Skin can differ in texture, colour and other specific and zonal properties. Protecting the skin should be a daily routine.
- Limit sun damage and exposure prior to and after any treatment to prevent exaggerated inflammatory responses.
- Skin is exposed to visible light (HEV), Infrared Rays (IR), UVA and UVB.
These rays penetrate to different depths of the skin where it may produce harmful effects such as:
- Erythema and actinic damage (sunburn)
- Stimulate pigmentation
- Aggravate allergies
- Cellular oxidation
- Premature aging
- DNA damage
- Eye damage
- Skin cancer
Solar protection can be formulated with physical, chemical and biological filters, which will either reflect or absorb the rays, or block the free radicals from oxidative stress. Increasing the presence of the heat shock proteins (HSP) can effectively protect the collagen networks and promote type 1 collagenesis, which ensures the elasticity, flexibility and consistency of the skin. UVA increases the presence of collagenase which is the enzyme that degrades fibres and weakens tissue.
- Apply sufficient quantity sunscreen, 30 minutes before exposure (2ml/cm2)
- Use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF 50 on the face
- Reapply after every two hours, especially after drying off with a towel after swimming or sweating
- Avoid midday hours 11:00 to 16:00
- Make sunglasses your favourite accessory
- Wear a hat
Sunscreen should be part of your daily skin routine, whether you go out into the sun or stay indoors.
Some research shows that even prolonged exposure to cellphone, computer and television screens can lead to premature skin aging and pigmentation.
Our skin is our most precious garment as we wear it everyday. It’s a life investment.
24 hr Emergency Departments & Trauma
Our trauma centres have a dedicated multidisciplinary trauma team, trauma theatres and ICUs and provide comprehensive and highly specialised emergency medical services to patients who have suffered life-threatening traumatic injuries or medical conditions.
These world-class facilities are complemented by skilled and experienced medical specialists, management and staff who are committed to providing exceptional care for patients and their families.
March 16, 2022
April 26, 2022