NETCARE FAMILY CONNECT
Netcare launches Family Connect Line to keep COVID-19 patients and their loved ones connected
Dedicated personnel deployed to enhance communication between patients and families
In mid-January 2021 Netcare launched a dedicated support line to keep next-of-kin informed on the status of their loved ones who have been hospitalised with COVID-19 and, where possible, to facilitate direct communication between patients and their families. This is in line with the healthcare group’s focus on placing each patient in hospital and their loved ones at the centre of the care provided to them.
“The significant surge in people with COVID-19 infections requiring hospitalisation has forced us to focus our attention primarily on optimising our clinical resources to provide the best and safest care possible for all patients,” says Dr Richard Friedland, chief executive officer of Netcare. Unfortunately, as a result of the strain on our resources, communication with patients’ loved ones has at times been affected.
“We understand that the hospitalisation of a loved one can be very stressful and anxiety provoking for the next-of-kin, especially during this time when, in order to mitigate the risk of the virus spreading in our hospitals, visitation has been suspended other than in exceptional cases.
“As a result and in an effort to improve communication, we have set up the Netcare Family Connect Line. This makes it possible for families to engage with dedicated personnel, mainly social workers who we deployed for this purpose, for information on the status of their loved ones admitted with COVID-19 to any of our Netcare hospitals countrywide, whilst enabling us to maintain patient confidentiality,” Dr Friedland explained.
“We understand how crucial it is for families to know how their loved ones in our care are doing, and this new service is dedicated to fulfilling this need,” Dr Friedland says.
The number for the Netcare Family Connect Line is 0800 111 266. It will be operational weekdays from 08:00 to 18:00 and weekends from 08:00 to 17:00.
The Netcare Family Connect Line service enables patients’ next-of-kin to connect with one of our team of trained call centre professionals, who will facilitate the feedback process. A dedicated Netcare representative at the hospital where the patient is cared for will obtain information on the patient’s status, and will personally phone the family member to provide feedback. Messages to and from the family and patient will also be relayed where direct communication between the family and patient is not possible. Feedback will be provided within hours of the first enquiry and thereafter on a daily basis.
Netcare has, since the start of the month, already recruited and deployed 30 social workers to support patients and their families in non-clinical patient liaison roles, which enables healthcare workers to focus solely on their clinical and nursing duties. Netcare hospitals are in the process of expanding the number of social workers to ensure that their services will continue over weekends too.
“Already, we are seeing the profound value that the social workers’ efforts have brought for families through facilitating better communication in these unprecedented times, and we believe that this telephonic support service will enhance connection between patients and their loved ones even further.”
How the Netcare Family Connect Line works
To ensure that loved ones stay connected to patients admitted to Netcare hospitals with COVID-19, Netcare has established a national Family Connect Line, with dedicated Netcare personnel deployed as liaison between patients and their next-of-kin.
Here’s how to use the line:
• Phone 0800 111 266 during the Netcare Family Connect Line’s operating hours: Mondays to Fridays, 08:00 to 18:00 and Saturdays and Sundays, 08:00 to 17:00.
• Provide the call centre professional with the patient’s case number, which will enable them to immediately identify the patient and the hospital where he or she is being cared for, as well as with your name and surname. This case number is sent via sms to patients admitted to hospital as from Monday, 18 January 2021 as well as to those listed as their next-of-kin.
• Should you not have the patient’s case number, we will require the following information:
– Patient’s name and surname
– Patient’s ID number
– Hospital where the patient is being cared for
– Date of the patient’s admission
– Your name and surname
• The call centre professional will relay your enquiry to a dedicated Netcare representative – either a social worker or patient liaison officer – at the hospital where the patient is cared for, who will confirm with the patient that we may disclose information on their status to you.
• The dedicated Netcare representative will contact you telephonically within hours, with information on your loved one’s status. In cases where the representative cannot facilitate direct contact between the patient and family, they will also relay any messages to and from the patient and family, and will continue to update you on the patient’s status on a daily basis during their hospital stay.
November 11, 2021
November 11, 2021
November 04, 2021